The one year anniversary trip.

March 31, 2011

After our Saturday date, we set off to continue our anniversary celebration. On Sunday we slept in a bit, packed a big bag for us, packed a small bag for Mia and got the house in order to leave it for a couple of days. Being the planner that I am, the itinerary I created had us leaving by Noon, but I live with a certain person who does absolutely everything last minute and I am slowly learning that patience is indeed a learned virtue. We instead left a little later and dropped Mia off at Chris' brother and sister-in-laws house so she could have some play time with her human and dog cousins.

We headed north to Sedona. We're fortunate to live in a place where beautiful, fun places are just a short drive away. After only two hours of driving, we were in a place of red rocks and mountains.

Except you couldn't really see those red rocks and mountains.

On Sunday, we checked into the hotel, laid around, got out for some dinner and then laid around again thinking surely it was just cloudy and cold for that one night. On Monday, we had big plans to get out. It's March in Arizona which is a given for good weather unless you try to plan a trip and want that good weather. Then it turns on you. To sum it up, this sunny little favorite town of ours was covered in clouds, drenched in rain and hovering at about 36 degrees for the two days we were there. And only those two days, of course.

We tried to make the best of it and ventured out after breakfast. We first were on a mission to find umbrellas. I decided I would brave the rain and cold, but an umbrella was a must. Three stops later, we finally found umbrellas. That was the best $15 we spent the entire trip.

On the way back into town, we noticed my windshield wipers weren't working. Since it hardly ever rains here, I don't notice my wipers are all dried up until it's too late. So yes, we spent a portion of our day at an auto shop getting those replaced. Once fixed, we could see the gray cloud covered mountains much more clearly.

We got back to town and had lunch. Outside our restaurant window, snow started falling from the sky. All we could do is look at each other and think where in the world are we? We braved some shops anyway.

I was secretly, and sometimes not so secretly, bummed. I had a long list of things to do, places to see. Instead, we would step out to eat and then quickly get back to our hotel room where it was warm and dry.

That night after braving the weather again for dinner, we decided we were calling it a night in. After venturing to Walgreen's to stock up on some games, we went back to the hotel room, called room service for dessert, cracked open a bottle of wine and turned on the gas fireplace.

In the end, we enjoyed the down time. The two days off work, the king-sized bed, the upgrade to the suite. We really just enjoyed being around each other, trying new places to eat and getting to sleep in. There were times I thought that we could be doing the same thing at home, but home included a needy dog, dirty dishes and not as pretty of a patio view.

The next morning when we woke up to leave, it was gorgeous and sunny.

Go figure.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun trip!!! And as usual, love the photos. The Man and I try to document our little lovecations with lots of photos too. Then we look back years later and laugh at the little things.

    Man Wife and Dog Blog


Please leave your email so I can respond directly to your comment! I read each one and your words are much appreciated.